Singletary’s public tantrum this week was a bad look on a lot of fronts.
* If you sit down for a scheduled interview with a TV camera, expect the interviewer to ask relevant questions about what’s going on with the team. Don’t have a hissy fit when someone is simply doing their job.
* This wasn’t exactly the toughest media moment Singletary could face. Pretty soft, actually. But he seemed to crack.
* Singletary sure likes to talk when he chooses to talk. But as the face of the team, he needs to have a better way of answering questions than blustering “I don’t want to talk about that.”
* Singletary said the Yahoo story that started the firestorm about the communications problems on the team was “not factual,” but then went off on a rant about a “rat” and a “coward” in the locker room. If there wasn’t any truth to the story, why the name-calling over the leak?
* I know football coaches are notoriously blindered but it’s a bad look for two men operating in the heart of Silicon Valley – for a team looking to sell corporate naming rights – to have no idea who or what Yahoo is. I’m guessing we won’t see Yahoo Stadium going up in the Great America parking lot.
* Did he really say “We will not try to stop Drew Brees. We will stop Drew Brees. Next question.” ? Is that a guarantee? Take note Who Dat nation…